Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Riggs 1:2-4

Which do you want first? Good news or bad news?
Personally, I like to have bad news first because then at least I end on a happy note, so I'll assume you all agree and begin.

Riggs 1:2-4
2. And it came to pass that Suzy was exceedingly fine in the taking of pictures and did offer much diligence in doing so. Thus, Suzy had come to have over 1,000 pictures and videos upon her camera.
3. But behold, we must have opposition in all things, and that same day of Suzy's boastings of exceedingly many pictures, her camera did fail her and all the pictures were taken from this earth and sent to outer darkness, never to be found again.
4. Suzy did endure much sadness as a result, but did find peace in knowing that she still has 24 days to take pictures, and in the knowledge of other girls having taken some similar pictures as she had. Thus, lift up your heart and sorrow not, because all is well in Ghana.

Haha. Okay, I know. That was bad. Perhaps one may say even sacreligious, but hopefully not. I basically just get bored hearing myself type and try to make it more entertaining. But really. Yesterday, I looked at my 1054 pictures and videos and was all, "woah, so cool I have so many!" And then my card was reformatted and every picture (every) was lost...forever. Sad huh? Oh well. Honestly, I am more sad for my family and friends than anything else. Because I know how cool everything is here and I know what an incredible experience I am having, but now I don't have those pictures to help me explain and show that to my friends and family.

But I realized that the most important thing to me and being able to convey the amount of joy and light that literally comes from the children here and what that does for me. So if my blogging convinces anyone of that, then it helps. And hey, look on the bright side, I have those four pictures I posted on here!
But honestly, it made me realize that now, I have to work even harder, so that I am able to come home and share some of the light and joy I have gained from being here, and express my experience here via myself and my actions and words rather than by pictures.
(Although, dont get me wrong, I am gonna take as many pictures in the next 24 days as humanly possible! :)


Kay. Finish.

In other news... My hair is braided!! Okay, technically its not braided, its "twisted" but its still wicked cool and I look super African! haha. Okay, some people might think I look crazy, but in Africa, IM COOL! haha. I will try and post a picture next week...obviously this week its not an option as per result of the aformentioned story.
And Im officially brunette and not blonde! Because when you get your hair done here, they weave in a bunch of fake hair, and I searched high and low and they have zero blonde hair, let alone Platinum blonde. So I decided Ill try and get wicked different, throw in some variation and have brown and purple in my hair!! So I bought brown and purple, brought it to the place to get my hair done, and the lady said I couldn't combine those two because they were different brands. So I had to change to medium brown mixed with dark brown/red. Its crazy cool. But next time Im def doing the purple mixed in next time, so be ready for it when I get off the plane!! haha.

Its crazy how much the people love it! I get sooo many compliments. I really am not tryin to toot my own horn or anything, but I they really like it when you adapt to their culture and so the fact that my hair is similar to theirs is so impressive to them. When we went to Accra so many women on the side of the road were speaking it Twi to me and it took me a while to finally figure it out, but most of the time they were complimenting my hair. Also, the deaf students love it. It is so sweet, they sign beautiful so funny. I wish I could show it but obviously I cant write the sign. But its cute and if you remind me, I'll show it when I'm home.

Also, in weekly news: I am officially the JSS 2 English teacher. A few weeks ago, the teacher peaced out and went to a University I guess? The kids always just say. "Left. University stay. Come back, Don't know." (note on that: its not broken english, im just trying to express signs via english and it makes it a little challenging) Its actually kinda funny though because the girls (other volunteers) and I often sign and talk at the same time when we're chillen at home and we end up sign talking. Its funny. For example: "Me finish talk Curry." Translation: "I already talked to Curry." Anywhoo. The point is, Im there English teacher. Normally, I just hopped in where they needed me, but now she is legit gone for a long time, so Im the replacement. Its kind of nice because at least I know I will teach so I have time to prepare lessons rather than just being thrown in and having to make up lesson plans on the spot like normal.

Also, I need to brag for a minute. So, the other day we were doing wash, and two of the JSS girls came over because they really like helping us (who knows why. lol) They came over once in the beginning because they said they wanted to show us how to properly wash because usually obruni's dont know how to was right (using a bucket and soap). But the one girl, Gladys, looked at me while I was washing and signed, "you smart!" I was so flattered! Let me explain a little. Whenever youre really good at something, they sign "smart!" or "clever!" So she was telling me I was really good! Isnt that great!!! Yay me. I can wash my clothes just like an African! haha. I still get sore knuckles from scrubbing but at least my clothes smell better, and now I know that if I were to ever not have a washer, I could totally whip out a bucket and be okay. Pretty thrify, huh? (Im trying to catch up to Amy...still have a ways to go though.)

Okay. And for our story of the week: My trip to Accra!

Saturday morning we left on our tro-tro and headed to Accra. Accra is the capital of Ghana and has tons of people, cool stores, cool fabric, cool art, and amazing people!
A few of the highlights included:
  • Fresh Mango that gets cut in front of you for easy access :) (Delicious!)
  • An American-ish restaurant that had pizza! (although, I got a chicken pita) and it was wonderful!
  • Legit ice cream. Let me re-emphasize. ICE CREAM! DIFFERENT FLAVORS OF REALLLLL ICE CREAM! Ah-mazing!
  • While enjoying my ice cream a guy came and sat next to me, and was chatting with me. Sometimes I get a little rebellious...slash bored...so I make up stories or just bend the truth a little. He asked me where Im from and I said Mampong. He was all, "no, you misunderstood my question. You make it sound like youre FROM Mampong. Live you live there. " I said, well, I used to live in America, but I'd say I'm from Mampong now because I have lived there for 7 years now. Then he asked me if I spoke Twi, and I said I know some and whipped out all my best words and phrases. After showing my SAWEET skills, he said, "OH!! You ARE from Mampong! I can tell my your accent! You really have lived for 7 years!" AMAZING RIGHT!!? I know, I was so proud of myself for convincing him I was a legit African :) Go me.
  • The art district. Lots of little shops all sitting together with different clothes, beads, bags, art, etc. I got separated from the group for a long time and it was actually a blast! Because I really got to interact with the people, use my Twi skills, my bargaining skills, and make a tons of cool African friends. aka-my brothas and sistas :)
  • Funny bartering experiences. Trading chicken salads for t-shirts. The man kept asking if he could really eat it raw. I was like "yes, I promise." Then after threatening to seriously injure me if I was lying, he opened to the package to reveal the chicken salad and crackers and see that I was honest, to which he replied: "Ah! You are a Christian!!!!" And gave me many hugs. haha. Good times. Wish I could explain better. I will have to tell the story at home because its better with the voice. lol.
  • I learned to tie a head wrap African style.
  • I learned to tie a baby to my back African style.
  • I learned the African (twi) lullaby that the women sing to the baby when he's crying.
  • I met a white boy.
  • The white boy asked me for my number. haha.
  • I taught some Africans sign language.
  • I got a wonderful, and very special, drum lesson from my brotha named Slow.

Overall, it was so fun, but Im realizing now its hard to explain without talking because it makes telling the story much more fun, but I'll take what I can get.

The school is still incredible. The students are amazing. I had such a fun day today teaching and hanging out with them. They teach me so much too!! I have never felt so incredible grateful for a trip. It is truly changing my life to be here. I hope my small efforts make small differences for these kids. I love it i love it I LOVE IT!! I really don't know how else to explain it. I wish I could take everyone here and show you all how amazing it is here!!

The light that has been shared with me from this experience will burn in my heart forever.

2 comments:

  1. "Okay, some people might think I look crazy, but in Africa, IM COOL!"

    Susanna... this makes me laugh and miss and covet you SO BAD!!

    I love reading your blog and hearing your stories. I want to see your hair so bad I am going nuts!!! And dude, you convinced some African dude that you lived there for 7 years?!!! I LOVE IT!

    My Susy + Ghana = Me happy.

    Live it up! And keep updating your journal like cracy!!!!!

    I'M SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU next!
    I missed you the other day, so I looked up sign language signs online and now know "creep" and "annoying" and use them surprisingly a lot.

    Love love love.
    Your Annaban

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue!! Don't keep using the same card in your camera!! Even though it was reformatted, the pictures are still on there and we can recover them--but only if you don't take new pictures with it--the new pictures will overwrite the old ones. Get a new card and use that for new pictures. Bring the reformatted one back and I'll help you try to get the pictures off it.

    Amy thinks you sound like an african now. We love your blog!

    -Amy, Aaron, and Abigaelle

    ReplyDelete