Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Random tangents and Animals

Okay, so I am at the internet cafe for the second day in a row! WOah! Computer? Two days in a row? Unthinkable? But I came yesterday and wasn't able to finsih doing everything that I wanted to because it took For-ev-er to upload those few pictures, so I came back today with the second half of the group who hadn't gone yesterday. Anyways, I hope you all enjoy the pictures! I have a zillion more but like I said, it takes way to long to post more than a few.

As for Africa...um...well...I STILL LOVE IT OF COURSE!!!

It's getting hard for me to think of what everyone knows and doesn't know about me being here and I feel like I've talked about so much stuff, but at the same time, there are probably a million things that I just go through everday without realizing that its a million times different than home because I am honestly just used to it by now.

Luckily Tay asked me a bunch of questions and it gave me some ideas for things I can add info about:
Animals-- I haven't seen anything crazy. No lions or tigers or bears...OH MY! But everyday I see at least
-100 lizards, of various shapes, sizes and colors;
-frogs;
-1 snake;
-funky bugs;
-centipedes
-millipedes (they literally have like at least a thousand legs! They are about 6-8 inches in length!)
-goats, everywhere;
-dogs, to be honest they kinda scare me here because I don't think people are nice to them and so they don't seem very friendly, nor do I have a desire to find out if they are lacking in disease or not;
-1 cat;
-chickens, everrrywhere;
-roosters, I hear them cock-a-doodle doo all morning plus I hear them while Im teaching in school too. (I always pictured it happened only once or twice in the morning like the cartoons...wrong!)
-Snails, HUGE snails!
-1 monkey, funny because I was just chillen in class, when suddenly a student came in and asked me if I knew what a monkey was. I of course said I did and they asked if we have them in America...haha(they always want to know whether the things they have here are also in America) and I responded that we do, but you don't see many. They told me there is one outside if you wanna see! I was taken aback at first and thought they were yankin my chain or I misunderstood or something, but I understood just fine because I walked out the classroom door and sure enough there was a big baboon thing chillen in the school yard between the JSS and the Primary school. It just ran around until it climbed into a tree and this man just grabbed it out!! Seriously, he just snagged the monkey by the hair on its back and started walkin away with it! The monkey didn't even fight back! It was crazy! Don't worry, I have it all documented on film/pictures because I always have my camera on me.

Oh, and while I am on the topic of my camera, I guess I could mention the fact that it got destroyed... So, I was in class on a Friday or Saturday afternoon because I wasn't teaching, we were all just playing, and I was taking pictures. I was actually filming and the students were signing stories to me while I recorded, but there was one primary kid along with all my JSS students and they ALL want to be in the video. But the younger primary kid noticed when I moved my camera from his story to one of my taller students so he jumped up and swatted my camera. I think he only intended to get it to point back down at him instead of up at another kid, but he jumped and swatted hit so hard that it flew out of my hands and smashed into the ground...yeah...not very fun. But no worries!! The students were so sweet about it afterwards, it was precious. All my older students were apologizing profusely even though it was not their fault...nor was it really anyones fault, except my own for not having the strap on my wrist. And they were trying to tell me that perhaps there is a place in Accra or somewhere I could get it fixed. But I realized that that probably is not a very logistical option for me.
Anywhoo, long story short the camera would turn on but the screen was black and said lens error and the lens would not close.
BUT!! Then! A miracle happened because I have a loving Heavenly Father (who knows how important pictures are to me, especially when I am in a place as cool as Africa) and no my camera lens not only closes, but it half way opens too! haha. AND! If I yank on the lens when it is opening then, it usually opens the rest of the way up and works just fine!! So really, in the end it all worked out just fine, because with a smidge of effort it works well, the only real loss was that now my zoom will never work again. So thank you thank you for your prayers because my one dilemma so far was not even close to horrible!

Also, my sweet dancing skills are totally paying off! haha. Just kidding, I know Im not the sweetest dancer, but I think the kids have zero expectations for the white people to have any ability to dance whatsoever, so my few moves are incredible to them! :) yay.
They are ALWAYS dancing! You might be surprised because they have no music, nor could they hear music if they wanted to, but you have to understand that they have this internal rhythm inside them, and many of them are truly amazing dancers! So I showed them what I got, or would copy whatever moves they do, and everytime I do they always FREAK OUT! haha. Its so funny because they are so shocked they are always signing (very explosively signing I might add) "YOURE SWEET!" "Where did you learn to dance?!" "You are SO GREAT!" WOAHHHH! haha. Its funny and im not gonna lie, it gives me a little internal boost everytime :)

And once again, time is up! So until next time...Love love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment