Thursday, June 18, 2009

Half Way Mark

Hello World!!

Im so pumped the internet is working now. Some funny things have happened in the past two hours, hopefully I will have time to write about, because it really is these crazy little things that happen to me, that make my life extra fun and enjoyable!

But first, I gotta talk about my Cape Coast trip!!
Last weekend we skipped school on Friday and left early in the morning for Cape Coast. The Kibi group met us in Mampong on Thursday night and then we left in the tro-tro at 9am (we planned 8, but of course our tro tro driver DonQkwa, was way late as usual) and we took a nice 5 hour drive all squished together in the tro tro for 5 hours and arrived at Cape Coast at 2pm.

The hotel we stayed at was AMAZING! haha. Okay, so if you compare it to American standards, people might think it was pretty dumpy, but I thought it was fantastic!! There were PILLOWS! and WATER!! That's right folks, I said water. Water that runs...out of a faucet...on to my hands...or head, depending on the situation, and a POOL (that was kinda like a pond) but still incredible!! AND! The best part, our hotel has a huge lake/pond something or other in the middle of it. And guess what was in the lake. CROCODILES! 30-40 African Crocodiles! Im not talking zoo-like situations here people. Im talking, they had paddle boats that people could go on, walk right down to the water, crocodiles crawl right out of the water, type deal!! There were a few literally just laying on the sides of the lake. People would go touch them! It was insane! And I looked at those paddle boats and thought maybe that would be a cool story, but there is no way I am risking a limb, or my life, for a cool story and some pictures! Anywayyys, it was way cool to see all the crocs!
I need to add that to my list of animals from last time. After I wrote it I realized I missed a few vital additions to the list:
-Crocodiles
-Ants (with ant hills that range from about 4 feet to about 18 feet in height) No joke.
-Donkeys
-Another Snake

And I have a story about the other snake too. (but I gotta go into that in minute too.)

So anyways, after the hotel stay with the crocs, the next day we went to this canapy walk something-or-other national park thing. And it was AH-MAZING!!
We hiked up a long ways, then climbed a latter and started walking on this little one-wooden-plank-wide rope bridges that are wayyyy wayyyy up in the tops of the rain forest trees!! COOL RIGHT?!?! I thought so! It was THE most incredible view, and plus a wayy fun experience! I will try to post pictures, but considering how long they take to load, I'll have to wait.

Then we went to 2 different slave castles. It was a very interesting a sobering experience, to see, feel and smell the type of situation and living conditions the ancestors of these Africans went through. They tell the stories with much reverence and I really am humbled by even the idea of the circumstances those people endured.

And then, to end our Saturday in Cape Coast, we went to a restaurant (where I got to eat French Fries!) and the restaurant was right on the beach! So, of course, while we were waiting for our food, we play play playyyed on the beach. It was awesome. The water was warm, the sand was full of shells, and all faces were lit with shiny smiles!!!
Then after dinner finished, I sat and looked at the most incredible sky full of stars and thought to myself, "Beachside star-gazing on the coast of Africa...my life is awesome!" haha.

Really, I think every single day about how blessed I am to have this opportunity! Anytime you can mix adorable children and sign language with a wicked cool country and cultural experience...please...does it get much better? Not for me!

So that was cape coast...
Now, as intermission...I will share an anecdote about my sweet life.

So, its evening, about 7pm, and a few of the girls and I decide we want to go back to the school to hang out and play with the kids. As I am walking out the door way, Nycole steps in front of me, screams and runs away. I couldn't figure out why but all I could hear her mutter amidst her panting and screaming was something about a lizard. I was thinking, "why are you screaming about a lizard? They are everywhere, and not exactly scary). So I stepped backward toward the doorway instead of further outside, because usually when there is some kind of animal scare, the animal is outside. But, as I stepped back to stand in the doorway the screaming became more urgent!! I couldn't figure out for the life of me why everyone was still freaking out, until a looked to the left of me and saw a huge black snake on the wall with its head twisted around the door frame and into the house!! As you may guess, at that point in time, I joined the crowd by screaming bloody murder and running away as fast as my legs would carry me.
Turns out, the lizard the snake was after dropped on Nycole's foot and that caused the initial tumultous screams. Anywhoo, our neighbor man came over with a big stick because he wanted to kill it, but it got away. Hopefully, I will not see Mr. Big Scary Black Serpent again...ever!

As for the curious events of the past 2 hours... we left home and hopped a taxi to Aburi for our internet extravaganza. However, this was my first time sitting in the front of the car, because usually I prefer being squished in the back with the other girls. And now I know why I always prefer that. As per usual, we were being nice and making conversation with the taxi driver, and as usual, after about 1 minute and 37 seconds, the taxi driver proceeds to tell me how much he loves me and asks me to marry him. I think today may have been my 37th marriage proposal since I arrived one month ago. The only problem is that this particular taxi driver wouldn't stop touching my hand and asking me to take my ring off so I could marry him. I told him I was engaged and my fiance is the only person who I love and I will not break up with him to marry some random taxi driver...but as usual, the persistance continues. (okay okay, I know I am no where near being engaged, but I keep my CTR ring on my left hand, and whip out lies as they come to me in order to avoid situations just as this one.) haha. Anyways, I tried to get him to give us a discount on our taxi fare in exchange for my email, (because usaually that works) but he wasn't havin it. Ah well, some hand sanitizer after the taxi ride heals all wounds and life goes on. haha. Don't worry mom, I never travel alone and I had 4 girls in the backseat who had my back.

Then, the internet cafe we usually go to was not working, so we went to the wood district, ventured back, internet still down, were directed to a different internet cafe, came for about 25 mintues, then the power in the whole town went out and we were stranded again. Luckily, people were friendly, and we were socializing while we waited for it to come back on. A lady from town came in a chatted for a minute with us, but she was only speaking in Twi. We used our meager skills and apparently were pretty impressive, because she came back a few mintues later with some fruit! We thought she wanted us to buy it, but the man said, "No, she is dashing you. It is free." How sweet is that! Free fruit! haha. LOVE IT!

So cultural note to add: "The Dash"
Many times if you buy a lot of something or a lot from the same vendor, they give you a "dash" by giving you an extra for free. For example, we bought like 15 bags of plantain chips one night, and the lady gave us extra because we bought lots. Or if you buy many of a fruit, they give one extra just to be nice. And when I shop in the wood district, sometimes if I buy a lot, they give me something else as a gift: aka, a "dash."
Pretty cool huh!? I think so. Ghanaian people are awesome.

As for the rest of my life. I still go to school everyday and it just keeps getting better! The students are absolutely incredible. They work so hard and want to learn, and are so excited to have us there! It makes me feel good because they always ask me to come teach their class. A lot of times, I try to find their real teacher for them, because I want the trained teachers to do their job, but a lot of times the teachers are "traveling" as they say, and just don't come to school. Seems like I am always getting thrown into a class to teach math or English. It is a little hard sometimes to think of a cool lesson plan on the spot, but somehow it always happens. Once again, I think it is because my Father in Heaven is helping me out or because I have awesome people who are keeping me in their prayers. Hopefully, I am not just making myself think this, but I really think my students math and English skills are improving dramatically!
I started this thing with them where I promised if they wrote a letter to me or any other volunteer, they will get a letter back the next day. I really want them to just practice writing and gain confidence in their skills. They used to be so scared of writing, because they didn't think they could do it well. (Plus, the teachers kept coming in and telling me how awful their English is, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have been getting some negative feedback in the past) But, they have been becoming much more confident in their writing, so hopefully by the time I leave they realize how intellengent and talented they really are!!

Sylvia and I are still best buddies. Haha. Everyone jokes with me that I am her favorite because she only asks for me :) but I'll take it! I like being wanted/needed! haha. I worked with her on English one evening and it was kind of incredible to say the least. Her English book is all in braille so I couldn't read it obviously; so she would read it, then sign to me what it said. And I would try to explain the meanings and help her answer questions. She even writes in Braille too. I feel kind of stupid for not knowing or realizing that, but she has this little grate type thing will raised up plastic squares and she puts it over her paper and then uses this pokey pen-ish thing to poke through the paper and write in braille. She is so smart!! Seriously! She is incredible, and every time I hang out with her I am totally impressed!

Well, thats all for now. Love you all!! Thanks for reading my random thoughts. Hopefully it makes some kind of sense. If anything needs clarification, please let me know.

Don't forget to smile, enjoy your day, and remember how blessed you are!

(Today is exactly one month 'til I fly back...bittersweet.)

2 comments:

  1. Cool sue. Sounds fun. I bet you are getting pretty tan over there :) hehe. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suz I just wanted to let you know that I think you are amazing and keep doing what your doing! You sound like your having the time of your life over there which is so awsome!!! I will keep you in prayer and have an amazing time!!! :) love you Suz!

    PS I love reading your blog... I show all my friends how cool you are :)

    PSS I leave on the 28th for El Salvidor!!!! Pray for me :)

    ReplyDelete