Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fun times in AFRICA!

HELLLLOOOOO Everybody!

This week has FLOWN by! And I have had so much fun, so many learning opportunites, etc. etc. To everyone who is worried about me missing some details- firstly, I tried to make a note in my journal every time something happened which I thought worthy of the blog, and secondly, I have kept THE best journal ever. I seriously and known in the house for how much I write. I have already finished one whole notebook and am on a second-I write SO MUCH!

Okay, so this may be completely unorganized but keep in mind this is just me trying to retell random notes I jotted down so bear with me.

Notes about Ghanaian culture and people:
-They are ALWAYS late. Seriously, we went to a wedding that was supposed to start at 9 and it started close to 1. Also, people in general are just real chill and relaxed and they dont worry about time too much. Today, there was a cultural dance performance and while I was doing night school last night everyone said nine. So I woke up this morning and told everyone that is what they said, so plan on like 11. Of course I still showed up at nine because that is my nature and culture, but sure enough I was right on the ball and it started at 11.
-Kneeling. In class, when I am working with a student one on one, out of habit, I normally kneel next to their desk because it makes me at eye level rather than talking (signing) down to them, and I can see them easier and what not, but for some reason every time I have kneeled down to see them and talk while I am trying to explain a concept or whatever they would tell me not to kneel and move over in their chair so I can sit next to them. Finally one day I asked why and they said kneeling is usually used for punishment, and it all made sense. It is really sweet though that they always make me sit on the chair with them and always move over for me because they want to be comfortable and equal or whatever.
-Rain! Holy moly. I think everyone knows how much I love the rain! Ghana is fantastic for me. It rains BUCKETS let me tell you. I have tried to like video it and what not but it just doesnt do justice. The rain is much better than my shower from a cup. It rains so hard it usually wakes me up at night...and I usually run out and play in it :)
The only problem is that with the rain comes these crazy BUGS! They have four wings and are EVERYWHERE! But then the weird thing is that thier wings fall off and then they crawl around. One night after a big storm there were TONS! yuucky.
The other problem is that today I had my clothes on the line because I washed yesterday and I was at the school and it started raining so I literally sprinted home to move them haha. It was funny...

Note about school:
I flippin' love it! My students are absolutely PHENOMENAL. Holy moly! They seriously have such a strong and sincere desire to learn! They are always wanting to have a lesson or work on math and english even when they dont have to.

Sylvia:
We literally are like BFFE's now haha. She is still incredible. Ever since I met her I have yet to come to school or be hangin out at night for very long before one of the other kids comes up to me and tells me that she is asking for me. (I think she likes me :)) YAY. haha. Also, today was the second time I interpreted for her.
I went to church at the primary/JSS school on Sunday and she asked me to interpret for her. Because even though the whole service is in sign, she cant see it so I gotta help. It was really awesome, I was so happy to help, and it was nice to feel useful and needed too. Also, a note as to church on Sunday. I also got my first legit regular interpreting experience as well. The teacher in charge signs but the preacher does not. The teacher asked me to interpret for him so I went up to the front and interpreted his sermon for all the kids. It was SAWEEET! haha. I dont know why but I wasnt even really nervous...probs because I know how loving and non judgemental they are so I knew they would be okay if I messed up a little or something but I actually think I did well...At least that is what Catherine told me afterwards. She told me she understood everything perfectly and all the kids were paying really close attention so that means they were understanding as well. I was very relieved and excited to know I did a good job.

Oh. And today was the opening of this vocational hair school at our deaf school. It was really really cool actually because the little building is wicked nice and it was donated or supported or something by Loreal and this whole big group of people came to the school to officially "give it" and it was awesome because the kids did a cultural dance performance for them and they had a big assembly then the group gave all the kids free t-shirts and free lunch and they were so PUMPED haha. It was a wicked fun day- because it was a big party all day and because there was no school and everyone was dancing and happy and eating! haha.

Ah well, its that time again. I tried to upload pictures but it wouldnt work...maybe I'll have better luck next time...I hope I am making some kind of sense and everyone is enjoyin the blog.

Love you all!! Thanks for writing me back too, its fun to hear from everyone!!

1 comment:

  1. when and where did you learn how to sign? i've always wanted to learn. that hair school sounds awesome. i wonder what kind of hairdos they'll learn?!

    ReplyDelete