Friday, July 3, 2009

Ghana Day 50!

Oh boy oh boy.

I feel like I write kinda crappy on here, but I get so flustered trying to explain or express all the things that I experience here!

Well, cool events:
I got to go to the Accra temple. One word-Amazing. It was absolutely beautiful, and breathtaking, and every wonderful synonymous word in between. I loved it; definitely one of the highlights of the trip.

I got to go back to Accra, and to the art district that I had been to the weekend before and it was wicked funny because all the people I made friends with before still remembered me or were wicked surprised that I remembered them! Haha. More mango, more bargaining, funtimes!

It is definitely the rainy season! Last week it rained like 3 days in a row, like ALL day rain. And when I say rain I don’t me Utah rain. I mean BUCKETS of water pouring on your head. (It’s the best shower Ive had since I arrived!) Oh, so I guess that proves the point that when it rains I don’t stay inside… Rain+Suzy=Playtime. I love it. I love the downpours. It is hard to stay out of it. Eventually I had to stop cuz I was running out of dry clothes. But one of the days we were stuck at the school when it was pouring, so I took lots of pictures of the kids and then hid my camera and ran out to play in it. I learned new games and dances and got wicked muddy. All the kids talk about how COLD they are after/during the rain and I think they are crazy haha. I love the feeling of not sweating through all my clothes…although I guess I wouldn’t notice that if it was happening cuz Im wet, but you catch my drift.

I went to church at the primary school again. The preacher this week was one of the deaf teachers so I did not have to interpret, however, as per standard in Ghana, the guy was wicked late. So the kids just kept singing lots of different songs. Finally, they asked us obruni’s to sing a song so we all stood up there and signed “As I have loved you” haha. Then, since the guy was still taking forever and my students are the older ones in charge, Ruth (one of my JSS 2 girls) came over to me and said, “Suzy, please preach.” I was like…uh…preach…what in the world do I do? Then a minute later, Isaac came to me and said “Suzy, please preach” Im like okay. Just give me one minute to think of a sermon! Haha. So I finally convinced two of the girls to bear a short testimony with me, and when I told Lartey I would, the teacher showed up! Haha. Saved by the bell. But it was interesting to try and think of a sermon for about 200 deaf kids on the spot! It was fun though, of course. Everything is fun here!! =)

Then yesterday, July 1st, we didn’t have school because it’s Ghana’s Republic Day (I think) so we all went to two different waterfalls. It was pretty cool. We joined a group of students who were about 11 years old in a tro tro. 29 people in that sucker. That’s a feat if I do say so myself. But then we got to the different waterfalls and it was a party! Both places had music and dancing. And of course I joined in…but that might’ve been a bad idea because I think the Ghanaian people have never seen a white person dance before because it kinda causes an uproar and a lot of shock and awe when they do see it lol. But it was fun even if it was a bit overwhelming to have so many stares.
The waterfalls were very dirty. Brown water. But then both places had a hike you could go on to see this other area. The one was super short and you sit on top of a rock and look over an incredible landscape. The other was the same, except totally different! Haha. It was the same because you arrive at this massive rock structure-thing, and then climb a latter, and sit on top feeling like you are in the Lion King movie and totally on top of the world. But it was different cuz at Boti falls the hike is a few miles of up and down and up and down and lots and lots of rock climbing. It was interesting to make that hike in some Crocs but they held up fairly well. And it was pretty fun because all the people kept asking “Obruni are you tired?” (cuz they assume if you’re white you are lazy and out of shape) and I got the opportunity to outclimb and outhike a few of em =) Not gonna lie, I was kinda proud haha.

And as usual, school is phenomenal! I love my students! I love love them all the kids at school. They are wonderful. I have had some fun teaching science this week. Usually I stick to Math and English, but I had the opportunity to finally meet there science teacher and become his official interpreter and now I know what they’re learning about and I have been able to help. Love it love it love it.

My life is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment