Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Week Two

Okay okayyyy! Hey hey everybody!!
Im still here and still loving it!

Im hoping to make a little bit more sense this time than I did last time, but once again im stuck with much to say and only a few minutes on the computer.

A few random facts I forgot to throw in last time:
-The driving here is REDICULOUS! The streets are TINY and there are no sidewalks and the cars are always honking to let people know they're around so people can get out of the road. Its crazy. And funny story...so just now when we were coming to the internet cafe, Lyndsey was gonna put her seatbelt on and the taxi driver said "no, no, dont use the seatbelt, it will "dirtify" your dress" haha. I think its ironic that the driving here is so crazy and I never get to wear a seatbelt. Most times the cars dont even have them. Hopefully I have some angels lookin out for me or I'm a gonner!
-The food is way greasier than you would expect. Its not like Mickey D's greasy, but its greasy. I think they purposely try to make it greasier so people have more fat on em or something, I dont even know. lol.
-No running water is still fine and all, but I decided there is one thing I really don't like about it: doing dishes! It sucks haha. Imagine yucky sponges and greasy plates in one bowl of water that you have to use for all the dishes. There is no way they are legit clean, but I try not to think about it the next day when Im eating again.
-The Obruni thing never gets old! haha. Just now, walking down the street it is still funny because all the little kids want to wave, and even though some adults only speak in Twi, you still know they're talking about you because you hear them say Obruni a bunch in the conversation.

But for now, I think I'll just tell a story and be done...obv, MUCH more has happened, but hopefully I will get to talk to people when im home and whatev and can fill in on more details then...for now...Sylvia.

I was hanging out one night in the mess hall with all the kids. It was Friday night and they had a movie in because that's there "fun" for the weekend. It didnt seem very fun because there were no subtitles and they are all deaf, but they were still diggin' it I guess. Well, Im hanging out and I look to the door and notice a girl with a stick indicating she is blind. There was no one around her, so I decided to walk over and meet her, perhaps see if she needed help or something. I walk over to her and a little boy signs to me "blind" and since she was at the school I assumed she was deaf as well. I touched her arm to indicate my presence and she immidiately was a little happier as she started signing. "Your name" She put her hands in mine and she felt my movements as I signed back, "my name Suzy" and told her my sign name as well. We had a very nice chat and I couldn't help but fight back tears as I looked into her blank eyes, moving my hands in hers and realizing what I was experiencing for that moment. She can neither see nor hear, yet she can communicate. And she is smart too!! I lead her into the room with the rest of the kids and I spend most of the night with my hand on her knee incase she wanted to talk... At one point she started asking me about Ghanaian food I had tried and then tried to explain some kind of American food. She signed "chocolate" and "mix" and somehow thought I understood and spelled into her hand: "T-R-A-I-L-M-I-X" as i finished her face LIT UP! She was smiling and was so excited I knew what she was talking about. She told me a volunteer from a year or two ago had let her try some and she LOVES it. I told her I have some at the house and I would bring it to her. She was So thrilled! Haha. It makes me laugh just thinkin about how pumped she was for it. Anywhoo, Sunday night I visited again and brought her a big bag of trailmix. She was so excited!! She thanked me profusely and signed "god bless you! I love you!" haha. oh man she's cute. Well, needless to say I think she likes me now because everyday that I am at school I have one of the little kids run up to me and let me know that sylvia is asking for me. I love her, and every time I interact with her I feel of her innocent spirit and my love and respect for her grows everyday.

3 comments:

  1. hey, this is Lisa Ward (Hallstrom) from the Elmira Ward. Wow, it's so neat that you are in Ghana. I love reading about your adventures in Africa, especially the one about Sylvia. Hope you're taking lotsa pictures! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suza! I hope you are writing everything else in your journal! Otherwise, by the time you get back you won't remember all the details. Cam and I look forward to all your posts and can't wait to hear more later. Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Suz that is so AMAZING!! You are such an absolutly amazing person! You are going to touch so many peoples lives... God is going to use you in ways you never thought possible.. I hope you continue to have a super fantastic time I'm praying for you :)
    Love you!
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete