Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Americans in Ghana...A 4th of July to Remember

Story time...


Once upon a Ghanaian adventure, 9 Obruni's woke up at 3:40am to get ready to leave at 4am for Shai Hills. Of course, our tro tro didn't arrive until about 440 because in Ghana, "it is not possible" to arrive at a scheduled time. Anywhoo, we arrived at Shai at about 6am. Background: Shai Hills is a wildlife reserve where they have monkeys!! We planned to get there early because we heard the most animals are out in the morning. Well, we were right! We got there, drove into the place and there were MONKEYS everywhere!! Super close to us. We could just get out and touch them! They just sit right there! Holy craziness batman. (oh! batman! Ill get to that in a minute!) So anyways, we got there took some sweet pictures of monkeys, I think they were baboons because they had uglllyyy red butts, and enjoyed the cool morning. We even saw a tiny little baby baboon clinging to his mommy's back! cute huh!?
Well, we took the tro tro and drove to the other side of the reserve, picked up our tour guide, Abraham, and were on our way. We drove through the grasslands of Africa! It was B-E-A-Utiful! Mountains and trees and just endless landscapes. Plus, Antelope. We tro tro'ed it through the grass and tried to get close to the Antelope and then got out and sneakily walked to get an even closer view. It was sweet. The grass was a little moist though, so the dirt became somewhat of a mud in places.
Then we saw monkeys running around and climbing trees, and turtles, and antelopes.
Then Abraham took us to some caves! We started with some history and tales of the Shai tribes and people who used to live on the land and how they slept in the caves and they still come back once every year to do rituals on the reserve. We hiked up some rocks and through a few different caves. It was kinda stinky and I didn't know why at first, but Abraham informed me..."It's from the bats."
That's right folks-bats. We walked deeper and deeper into the cave until we were stand under a thousand bats! Seriously, there were tons and tons of bats swarming around above my head! Crazy huh! If people didn't believe me when I said I was batman before, BELIEVE IT NOW! haha. I only wish I had my mask to go with it! :)

Then, after the caves, our adventure was about finished and we got in the tro tro to drive through the grasslands for a final look at the beauty and the wildlife, when suddenly, disaster struck.

And when I say struck, I mean, STUCK. Because crash, boom, bang, and our tro tro was suddenly a victim of the mud. Abraham tried to push-no success. We all got out and tried to push-no success. Abraham gathered leaves and branches to place under the tires for traction-no success. I could go on forever...but the point is-we were really stuck! We ended up pushing for 2 hours!! We gathered rocks and branches, I used a tree limb and got down in the mud to try and dig out the tires, I used my bare hands to push mud from surrounding us, and I shoved the best I could, but it just wasn't cutting it. I of course realized the smart thing to do would be to offer a prayer. So the group gathered, including our tro tro driver and tour guide, and we said a prayer. It was still quite a while of pushing to no avail, until finally, another car came and they helped us out. The interesting thing was that the tour guide in the other car said he wasn't planning on going this way, but for some reason he felt like they should. Heavenly Father really does here and answer prayers. And let me tell you-after two hours of hot weather, mud, and pushing a 20 passenger van that's stuck, it is a miracle to be thankful for!

The day ended blissfully, with fresh bananas and mangos. But a few minor injuries were sustained throughout the group. I am not going to say who got what, because I don't want to worry anybody.
Injuries included, but were not limited to:
  • cuts
  • bruises
  • blisters
  • open sores
  • gas inhalation
  • dizziness and faint
  • nausea
  • a scorpion sting
  • Also, the next day, every one of us woke up feeling like we got hit by a bus! Or I guess hit by a tro-tro would be the more appropriate phrase, considering. But the sore muscles healed, along with all other wounds, and now its quite the story to tell.
Later that day, we finished our 4th of July celebrations by making guacamole and listening to any song that had the word "america" in it.

But in all honesty, I really am thankful and proud to be an American. After seeing and learning different things about Ghana, the culture, the government, human rights, etc. I am so happy to live in the coutry that I do.
During a R.M.E. lesson this week, a teacher was explaining different social, political, economic rights, and he was basically telling the class about all the different reasons why deaf are oppressed and how much they suffer in Ghana.
The teacher then said, "People here sometimes think deaf are the same as animals."
To which my student named Ruth answered, "I am Human!"
It was really striking to me. I guess it might have been more influential had ya'll been there to see it as well, but you get the idea. My students are human, they are people, they are smart, they deserve to be treated with respect and love. I am thankful to be here doing what I can, but there is always more to be done.

I still love school. I know I say it every time. And I know I don't necessarily say much more than that every time, but sometimes I think those things are just unexpressable, if there is such a word. Suffice it to say, I love the students, I am doing my best, and I will keep savouring every small moment I have in these last 10 days in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment